Skip to main content

Featured

Effective Parenting Strategies: How To Raise Firstborn Children The Right Way

     When it comes to parenting, there is no one-size-fits-all approach. Each child is unique and requires different parenting styles to thrive. However, firstborns often have a special place in the family dynamic, and their upbringing can have a significant impact on they turn out in future. In this post, we will explore the unique challenges and opportunities that come with being the firstborn in a family. We will provide practical tips and strategies for parents to help their firstborns develop into confident, responsible, and successful individuals. Whether you are a first-time parent or have several children, we will provide valuable insights into raising firstborns right. From setting clear expectations to avoiding common pitfalls, this article will equip you with the tools you need to help your firstborn thrive.  Have you read Parenting and the Curse of the Firstborn? Understanding Firstborns Firstborn children hold a unique position in the family dynamic. They are often the fi

Hospital Bag Checklist For New Moms in Nigeria

A pregnant woman with her hands on her belly

     I remember when I was pregnant with our first baby, it was a mixed feeling of happiness and trepidation. I was a little skeptical of the unknown, what will it be like to have a baby? I had heard countless stories of how excruciating childbirth can be and I was not prepared for that kind of  experience. I did a lot of research because I was actually looking for someone who had a different story to tell. I was not preparing my mind to scream and cuss everyone. There had to be another way, a better way. I asked my mom and friends about their experience but no one could explain it to my satisfaction. I also confided in my doctor and he did his best to explain and calm my fears but a book I read did it for me - Supernatural Childbirth by Jackie Mize. Only then did I put my fears aside and begin to think about what I would need to put in my maternity bag for my baby and I. All the while I kept going for my doctor's appointment, went through routine scans and tests, packing my bag was the least of my worries. Little wonder I missed a few items which could have been avoided. This post is geared towards helping you be more prepared than I was.

I know you are so excited to meet your new baby and chances are that you have already started putting your bag together but to be on the safe side, keep reading so you get to know what you should put in your bag and what you should leave at home.

When should you start packing your maternity bag?

     In my opinion, in your second trimester. By this time, the window for a miscarriage has closed (at least to a great degree) and it is safe to assume that you are going to have a baby. You would also want to consider the cost of baby products these days so it's good to get an early start and pick the items you would need. It will save you the trouble of doing it at the last minute and you will also be prepared in case that your baby comes earlier than expected. If you are like me, keep the bag in your wardrobe and put the items inside as you buy and when every item on your list is checked, you bring the bag out and repack everything properly.

Hospital bag essentials for mom

     Keep in mind that the length of time you will spend in the hospital is determined by the kind of delivery you have. A woman who has a baby vaginally is expected to spend 2 to 3 days under normal circumstances and a woman who has a C-section will stay longer and will therefore need more of these items. 
  • Documents: Hospital card and receipts (if you paid earlier)
  • Clothing: two comfortable dresses that favours breastfeeding, a dress you will leave the hospital in, two night dresses, two maternity bras with breast pads, four panties, socks and a wrapper.
  • Toiletries: toothpaste, toothbrush, bathing soap, towel, 4 packs of extra absorbent pads, deodorant, comb and body cream. Remember to take your glasses along if you wear them.
  • Foot wear: flip flops and flat shoes for going home in.
  • Snacks and drinks: you will feel hungry after you have had your baby and may not want a heavy meal. I made sure to take coconut water along.
  • Phone charger with a long cord to keep your battery charged and a portable power bank for all the calls you will make and pictures you will take.
  • Breastfeeding pillow.

Delivery essentials for baby

     As a new mom, you may be tempted to go overboard but your baby is just starting out and may not need much.
  • Clothing: soft blanket or thick flannel to wrap your baby, onesies, going home clothes, socks, mittens and cap. I would suggest you pack different sizes of clothes, you don't know how big your baby would be.
  • Toiletries: diapers, wipes, cord clamp, methylated spirit, cotton wool, baby soap, lotion, oil and powder, olive oil, baby bottles, antiseptic and mucus extractor.
  • Others: baby milk, hot water, drinking water, spoon and cup. If your breast milk starts flowing immediately, you may not need these items but carry them along with you just in case you may need them.

Hospital checklist for your support

It is most likely that your mom, sister, friend or spouse will stay over with you and will need a few items too.
  • Change of clothes and wrapper.
  • Toiletries: soap, lotion, towel, toothpaste and toothbrush.
  • Snacks: she may stay awake longer than you.
  • Cell phone and charger.
When your bags are packed, you will be set to leave for the hospital when it is time. Keep your bag handy so you can easily pick it and and get going. I pray you do have a safe delivery. Please share and follow us on Pinterest and Facebook. Thank you!


Comments

Popular Posts